Sunday, May 27, 2012

Shutter Plant Stand

I saw some shutters at the Habitat store the other day - and had about 20 (or more) ideas of things I wanted to make with them.... Sometimes that's the problem I have, not wondering WHAT to do with something, but narrowing down
the ideas to just one.


I've made  standing screens..... you know - for hanging things on....or for putting on a desktop (they make a good table-scape)

They look good in two's and threes -
and in all colors!

This time - I happened to find 4 that were approximately the same size and thought I'd make them into some kind of stand- since the 4 I had were narrow and tall....

and so made this one with top and bottom
Perfect for a plant - or vase or something...

then I had an idea - and made this one -
with just a top.  I put an up-light under it and
lifted the shutters a bit.  The affect was
pretty neat - a night light affect.  It would be
a cool thing on a deck or front porch.


I'm working on one right now - candy apple green with a cobalt  blue top and bottom to match a candlier I made for someone earlier. 


Here's the candlier.   If you can see the candlier past all the other stuff it's hanging around.  I'm re-doing the candlier as well as it's spent a season out in the rain and weather and the glass has faded, the paint chipped a bit and one of the pendants has come loose.   All in all - it's weathered pretty well, considering I did not make it to be in direct weather.  I'm trying to get the glass free from the candlier right now - but the epoxy I used to glue it in place was WAAAYYY too good and I'm having some difficulty getting it to release. 
 I'd rather not break the glasses...
 they are the perfect shape. 

I'll take a picture once everything is completed and let you see the two together.  Hopefully I'll get the projects done this century. 

Anyway - won't you agree...
shutters are very cool!



No comments:

Post a Comment