Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kitchen Renovations III

The progress with my kitchen continues as the cold wind blows outside - and painting weather is nowhere in sight... I became friends with the chop saw.... Yes ok - I'll admit, I've always been a bit afraid of the chop saw... something about the spinning blade.... and the fact that it cuts and cuts and then all of a sudden splinters wood and explodes it all over the room... makes me just a tad nervous....  that and the spinning blade part....

 It looks so mild with it's blade all tucked away like this .... so harmless and benign.... mwaaa haa haa (insert evil laugh here) but I don't trust it at all....  oh wait... did I say I made friends with the chop saw?  I digress... yes  - I made friends with the chop saw... old habits are hard to break.

But - after cutting trim for about  30 cabinet doors .... we are definitely friends....



(notice I STILL had to keep them numbered) - I did have a regression of fear when I tried to cut the trim for the drawers... it was eensie weensie trim so the blade didn't like it - and, of course - the chop saw EXPLODED and threw wood all over the garage!   so.... I'm still a little bit afraid of the chop saw.  I had to revert to using a miter box to cut that trim and it took me 100 years... 3 blisters and a sore shoulder.... but... ITS DONE!!!!


Before Trim - plain drawer fronts





After trim - much better!


Then I filled in all the cracks and holes with wood putty - then sanded some more - painted with pretty rust colored primer....... so many steps - so little time
(always keeping them numbered)




Meanwhile - the hardware has3 layers of paint that hads to be removed - we plan to paint it a brushed nickel - it was originally a copper color and has, over the years, been painted white and then black.   All of this has to be removed somehow - and, of course - I'm going to have to do it and still keep the hardware separate and numbered...... I'll have to go on line and look for ideas on how to remove paint - I hate to use chemicals - - - anyone have any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment