Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A House In Repair - Kitchen Cabinets Phase II


The demolition continues - our poor kitchen - no fridge, no stove, no dishwasher... (like Robinson Crusoe - not a single luxury -for some reason that song keeps going round and round in my head) well - at least I don't have to live there!  I've become hooked on my cold beverages and NOT having to wash all the silverware!!
You can see the next step in our project - my husband has ripped up the floor (I'll cover that in another blog) and has a few tiles down for me to see - I'm just showing you the before pictures of the cabinets before I remove them from their homes.

Here's how it looked when I was done.... - Ain't it pretty!  I especially love the shelf liner... guess I'll have to replace that too before it's all said and done. (It's actually not bad - although it looks like dated wallpaper - it's really a pretty grape patterned rubber shelf liner... pretty expensive when I first put it in....)

The night I took off all these cabinet doors it was
snowing outside - an unexpected snow thanks to
SOMEONE who shall remain nameless doing the
"I don't want to go to school snow dance" - so I loaded
all the cabinets and drawers into my car in the snow 
to take them over to the other houseLucky for me that I did because school has been out now for days and days so
I've had plenty of time to work on them in the garage. 
 First I took off all the hardware.....

 



Making sure to put each door's hardware into numbered bags so that I can match them back up when I am done

You wouldn't think that would make a difference - but after being on a door for 20 years - a hinge starts having a certain shape - and fits better on one door than on another - ask me how I found THAT out the hard way.
I put all the baggies into a pretty basket - I may do construction work but I'm still a girl after all!

Don't forget to number the doors - doesn't help to number the baggies if the doors aren't numbered.  These doors are already sanded - which is why they look so... shabby.....
Sanding is what I did next - to each and every one - on both sides and on all edges with my handy dandy makita hand sander.. (love it!!) - hours and hours (about 8 so far) of hand sanding - to remove wood imperfections - stains and high spots of paint - to rough up the paint in order to better receive the new paint technique I'm planning to do and to remove any oil residue that's on the wood...(remember they are kitchen cabinets.... they've had plenty of oil residue... and spilled soda - syrup - um and some things I couldn't identify - it's been a little embarrassing to scrutinize them so closely) It's been so much fun I can hardly stand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment