Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A House In Repair - Kitchen Cabinets Phase I

So the main thing we have to do this year - and quick - is get our other house ready to put back on the market.  It's been on the market now since 2007 - and earlier this summer we realized that there was some major water damage  going on in the basement, so my husband has spent every spare minute all summer, fall and into the winter removing damaged wood, sheetrock and carpet and replacing everything with new.  It has been an enormous job - way more than we ever thought it was going to be - and we are not even half of the way to completion.  (or so it seems some days) But when I look back at the progress he has made so far (with just a little help from me and a lot of help from other family members) - I guess we really are closer to being done than I think we are.  My job right now is to take the plain Jane kitchen cabinets and spruce them up.  We're replacing the linoleum floors with tiling in the kitchen and dining room - so new cabinets will be the final piece to make the kitchen pretty and sellable.  

I actually found these pictures (above) of the kitchen before we ever started doing anything to it - excuse the mess  - I should have washed the dishes before I took these pictures  : )


Before  - the cabinets were so low

The first thing we did was to remove the cabinets above the counter to the right.  Although the storage was nice - they were so low they made the bar impossible to sit at without hunching over.  Taking them down really opened up the kitchen/dining room making the room seem much bigger. 

The cabinets were much heavier than I thought.
we used jack stands to hold them up
The entire cabinet is now gone - opening up
the room completely

We had to repair the wallpaper and the ceiling (and remove the treadmill and dog crate) but this room looked 100% better once these things were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment